Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Untitled

Marge: Homer, is this how you pictured married life? (pretend it's chess bloggers life)
Homer: Yeah, pretty much, except we drove around in a van solving mysteries.



Last night at around 7:30 pm while having my dinner (left over meal from lunch) of ginisang ampalaya and fried tilapia, I've received quite a number of text messages and email alerts from our friends that I should visit Wesley's page at chessgames.com "immediately" because Wesley So just made a "last minute decisions" and the kid is set to leave for Vietnam tomorrow, that is today, to compete in the zonal. The messages were all clear but not demanding: to verify the news, once and for all. Taking my time, I finished my dinner, making sure that my intestine will digest them quite smoothly, washes the dishes, careful not to break any of them. This whole process took me about half an hour after I received the "alert" then I log on to my best friend Acer, sent Mrs Lenny So and Mr Tee a confirmation email and finally, I arrived at Barangay Wesley So at chessgames. And here's what greeted me. Yup the people there are already out in the streets. There was some kind of festivities going on there. Some are singing, praying, preaching, yelling, anything goes, in unabashed display of one's extreme enthusiasm and fanaticism. Before I knew what was happening, there was another email alert. Bulgarian GM Dejan Bojkov and yours truly are now friends at Facebook! Check out ChessHeroes interview with Bojkov from our previous post HERE.

But anyway, everyone is happy and that's the important thing.

This is what online community is all about. Friendship. Spiced up with suspense, love, fear, mild and short lived altercation etc. The noise, the confusion and everything, heck, this what makes the stress of chess blogging a bit more easier to bear. And I'm loving every moment of it!

No comments: