Monday, January 26, 2009

Corus 2009: Wesley So lost to Holzke, Carlsen eight straight draws

Truth is, I didn't finished the live coverage of Wesley So-Frank Holzke last night. Having an eight to five office work, you know it's not an easy thing to stay up that late. So confident I was that Wesley would win the game after the exchange of rooks (26...Rxc6 27. Qxc6) I just say good night to my best friend Acer and hastily go to bed. I know that the sickly looking black a6 and c4 pawns is doomed and there's no way black can stop the advance of White's queenside pawns. I was wrong. This is chess. I won't tell the rest when the moment I got up in the morning, woke up Acer, and saw the result! Coffee never taste so bitter! How come, with your opponent in severe time trouble, and you are a pawn up, committed an elementary blunder on your 34th move and lost a piece! I feel sorry for Wesley. It surely a very painful loss, poor lad. I hope he would recover soon.

Meanwhile Magnus Carlsen cruise to his eight straight draws of the tournament. His match against Kamsky took only sixteen move before signing the peace treaty. Hmmm...I guess Magnus is beginning to defy the world now. "I'm Magnus Carlsen, your future world champion, this is my game, this is my life, this is my decision and I will do whatever I want." You're growing up Magnus...



Corus standings after 8 rounds:

Corus A

1. S. Movsesian 5
2. L. Aronian, S. Karjakin, L. Dominguez, T. Radjabov 4½
6. M. Carlsen, L. van Wely, G. Kamsky, M. Adams, J. Smeets 4
11. D. Stellwagen, V. Ivanchuk, Y. Wang 3½
14. A. Morozevich 2½

Corus B

1. N. Short 5½
2. A. Volokitin, A. Motylev 5
4. D. Navara, F. Caruana, F. Vallejo Pons, R. Kasimdzhanov 4½
8. Z. Efimenko, E. l'Ami 4
10. Y. Hou, K. Sasikiran, D. Reinderman, J. Werle 3
14. H. Mecking 2½

Corus C

1. T. Hillarp Persson 6
2. W. So 5
3. D. Howell, A. Gupta, F. Holzke, M. Bosboom 4½
7. A. Giri, D. Harika 4
9. F. Nijboer, A. Bitalzadeh, R. Pruijssers 3½
12. O. Romanishin, M. Leon Hoyos 3
14. E. Iturrizaga 2½

Official website: www.CorusChess.com

No comments: