Over all, it's too early for me to judge the character and personality of GM Antonio. I don't know what is his personal relationship with other chess players as well and I might be branded of being bias on his side just because of the privilege of having spoken to him for the first time. But he seems very accommodating with the chess fans, that's all I can say. During the course of conversation, here's some of GM Rogelio Antonio's thoughts I would like to share with everyone:
- Planning to stage, together with our top GMs, the first ever "pay per-view" tournament, probably later this year, where fans can watch GMs in action, live.
- Wesley So will be among the top ten players in the world in the near future. He has no doubt about it. He even admitted that it is Wesley who is responsible alone for the revival of chess in the country.
- Popularity of chess in the Philippines is reaching an all time high.
- Prefer blindfold chess over simul games. He did an exhibition blindfold chess in the past.
- Want to try another blindfold exhibition matches next! (Want to take on him anyone?)
One thing I forgot to ask him. Is NCFP really dead serious in its intention to bid the hosting of the chess olympiad in the country for the second time?
My deep appreciation also to Mr. Norlito Bersamina, father of ASEAN U-11 Gold Medalist, Paulo Bersamina, for the free meals and drinks he provided us! Thank you sir.
Malibay Chess Club blog has some details and photos from last week fund raising simul.