Thursday, December 11, 2008

GM Joey Antonio's post at Philippine Chess Web Forum

GM Rogelio "Joey" Antonio recently posted a comment at Philippine Chess Web Forum site regarding his US Campaign. Though he remains polite in his words it is pretty obvious that he was visibly hurt by the criticism he's receiving from few who were not impressed by his strings of successful campaigns where he wins all his five "mediocre" tournaments he participates so far: the 17th North American Fide Invitational at the Skokie, Illinois on November 15 to 21, 2008 Los Angeles Open on October 31 to November 2 in Los Angeles, California, 8th Universal Annual Swiss Chess Open on September 28 in Auburn Hills, Michigan and the G/19 on October 19 in Scottdale, Georgia. Here's what GM Joey Antonio has to say:

"Thanks to all of you who continue to support me in my campaign here in the US ... I tried my best in every situation but I guess my best is not good enough to most people. I don't intend to be seeded during the Olympic elimination qualifier and I'm always willing to go through the selection process. I always made it to the Philippine Chess team even in the past but at this instance I was not feeling 100 % fit both mentally and physically. However, this is not an excuse on my part and I wanted to prove that I'm still a force to reckon with ... and that's why I'm campaigning here in American soil and hope to do well . Please wish me luck and include me in your prayers as I continue to strive for excellence and bring glory to our beloved country."

So a chess Grandmaster should be...

No comments: